Nevada Northern & Railroads of White Pine County

 

 
Locomotive Photo Roster  

0-6-2ST    No. 87

 
   

 

Builder

Type

Road No.

Built

BN

Cyl.

Drivers (in)

Engine Weight

Tender Weight (light)

Weight on Drivers

Effort

Coal (tons)

H20 (gal)

Comments

Disposition

Baldwin

0-6-2T

87

Apr 1924

57769

21x24

50

~180,000; 157,540 in 0-6-0 config

na

 

32,300

3

2000

Purchased new UCC No. 87; 0-6-0ST.

 
Service Notes

Utah Copper Co.No. 87.
To NCCCo Nevada Mines No. 87 on 11 Jan 1929.
Rebuilt to 0-6-2ST in later 1930's with extended frame, enlarged cab, trailing truck, and large coal bunker.
Transferred to Kennecott, Utah Copper Division circa October, 1950.

 

1948

Copper Flat, Nevada

Jerry Graham photograph
Steve Swanson collection
Used with permission

 

Sitting in yard next to water crane just out of view to the right in this photograph.

Utah Copper electrified in 1928 resulting in a surplus of steam locomotives. Six of their newer Baldwin's (No.'s 81, 83, 84, 86, 87, and 88) were sold to Nevada Consolidated Copper, Nevada Mines in January, 1929.

At the outbreak of the Korean War in 1950, as many as 5 or 6 of the Nevada Baldwins (including No. 87) were transferred to Kennecott's Utah Copper Division, as they were apparently seriously short of power. UCD had not purchased any new 750-volt Electrics for mine service since 1942 and the new 750-volt, 125-ton Electrics were not delivered until March, 1952.

     
     
     

 

 

 

   

 

Last modified 28 Feb, 2003 by Keith Albrandt