Nevada Northern & Railroads of White Pine County

 

NCCCo./KCC Way Cars        4-wheel series

 

Caboose No. 15


Labor Day Weekend, 1999
Copyright © 2001 Paul Hodson
Used with permission

This is one of a series of six 4-wheel cabooses, numbered 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, and 15 originally owned by the Nevada Northern Railway and subsequently sold to Nevada Consolidated Copper Company in May 1920.

No.'s 9, 14, and 15 were built by the Nevada Northern and had wood superstructures steel underframes.

They were retired and sold for use as mountain cabins. The crummy in the photograph to the left is currently at the Nevada Northern Railway Museum. It is seen here on a flat car in the yards sans trucks and has tentatively been identified as No. 15.

   

B.H. Ward photograph
Steve Swanson collection

Used with permission
No. 15 at the East Ely ore yard on 19 July 1946 . Notice the reinforcing bolts in an "X" pattern on the side of the way car.
 

Larry C. Rowe photograph
Ronald L. Welsh collection
Used with permission
No. 15 on the East Ely RIP track in October, 1942. The lettering has been changed from that shown in the image below, but the reinforcing bolts that are documented in the above image are not yet in place.
   

Unknown photographer
Steve Swanson collection
Used with permission
The standard Bingham & Garfield ore cars in the background date this photograph after 1935. By Aug 1938, No. 15 was lettered "N.C.C.C.", thus the date of the photograph is narrowed to approximately 1936-1937. Note that the reinforcing bolts on the side of the car have not yet been installed.
 
Cabooses No. 11 & 12
 

09 August 1949
John Lawson photograph; Will Whittaker collection. Used with permission.

Cabooses No.'s 10, 11 (below), and 12 (left) were purchased new from the Mt. Vernon Car Company in 1907 for $936.00 each. 4-wheel type, both wooden underframe and superstructure. They were sold to Nevada Consolidated Copper Company in May 1920.

 

 

East Ely; October, 1948
Jerry Graham photograph; Steve Swanson collection. Used with permission.
Caboose No. 11, stored. Caboose #10, also stored, is just visible to the far right in the photo.
   

White Pine Public Museum
mid-1960's

photographer unknown.

This series of cabooses were sold for use as mountain cabins upon their retirement. Gene Stoddard at the Central Ely Museum (White Pine Public Museum) managed to reacquire No. 12 in 1965 or 1966. It is presumably the caboose currently on display there.

Notice in the photograph that the trucks are missing and the car body is resting on two pairs of wheel sets.

   

Caboose No. 9

 

Ore Yard, East Ely, Nevada
26 July 1938

Ted Wurm photograph
Bert H. Ward collection

Used with permission.

Copper Flat Caboose Track
October, 1948

Jerry Graham photograph
Steve Swanson collection

Used with permission

Notice that by this date No. 9 has been rebuilt with the reinforcing bolts in an "X" pattern on the side of the way car, similar to No. 15 (above).

 

 

No.
Builder
Date
Body
Frame
Length over end sills
Width over side sills
Acquired
Comment
9
Nevada Northern Ry.
Jan 1913
Wood
Steel
15' 2"
9' 0"
From NN May 1920

10
Mt. Vernon Car Co.
June 1907
Wood
Wood
15' 2"
9' 0"
From NN May 1920

11
Mt. Vernon Car Co.
June 1907
Wood
Wood
15' 2"
9' 0"
From NN May 1920

12
Mt. Vernon Car Co.
June 1907
Wood
Wood
(later replaced with steel)
15' 2"
9' 0"
From NN May 1920
At White Pine Public Museum
14
Nevada Northern Ry.
May 1917
Wood
Steel
15' 2"
9' 0"
From NN May 1920

15
Nevada Northern Ry.
31 Dec 1917
Wood
Steel


From NN May 1920
At NNRy museum in East Ely

 

 

 

 

Last modified 27 March, 2003 by Keith Albrandt