Nevada Northern & Railroads of White Pine County

Photo Gallery - Structures

 

 

 

Currie

 

 

Jun 1984

Depot at Currie, looking southeast. Built in 1907; wood frame construction; 26' x 36'.
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

Jun 1984

Currie freight house looking northeast from US Route 93. Built in 1907; wood frame construction; 16' x 80'.
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

Jun 1984

Currie Hotel, Elko County, Nevada, located behind the Currie depot. Most NN travelers would have stayed here if detraining in Currie.
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

 

 

 

Cherry Creek

 

 

08 Feb1999

Signal standard at Cherry Creek Station. Facing south.
Copyright © 2000 Paul Hodson; used with permission.

08 Feb1999

Base of water tank at Cherry Creek Station. Facing north.
Copyright © 2000 Paul Hodson; used with permission.

Labor Day Weekend, 1999

Cherry Creek Passenger & Freight Depot, moved to the grounds of the White Pine Public Museum, 2000 Aultman St., Ely, NV in 1990. Built in 1907at a cost of $1723; wood frame construction; 24' x 36'.
Copyright © 2001 Paul Hodson; used with permission.

     

McGill

   
20 June 1999
McGill Passenger & Freight Depot, Located just inside the main gate of the reduction works. Concrete block construction; 30' x 97'; built in 1908 at a cost of $8,138. Currently property of the NNRy Museum.
Copyright © 1999-2001 Keith Albrandt

 

 

 

East Ely

 

 

1987

Yard looking east (Railroad North). The car repair shop is on the far left and the freight house is on the far right.
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

Feb 1984

Engine house "call board". Nameplates for John Reck, A.R. Neagle, E.D. Hofheins, Ed DiSanza, Gil Steiner, and A.J. McIntosh.
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

     

07 Aug 2000

Trackage at east end of yard, looking west. Notice the orphaned guard rail in the foreground. Perhaps leftover and forgotten from an earlier switch removal? The two motor car sheds on the left lie within the confines of the wye and are facing the main track.
Copyright © 2000 Al Clemens; used with permission.

             

06 Sep 1998

Coaling tower and sand house. Reinforced concrete and wood, built 1917.
Copyright © 2000 Jim Bryant
Used with permission

Water tower. 100,000 gallon,
75 ft steel tower, built 1914.
Copyright © 2000 Jim Bryant
Used with permission

   

Copper Pot, East Ely Depot
circa 1910
Sunny Martin collection
Used with permission

The reverse side of this postcard is annotated "Copper pot in front of Ely City Depot. Dismantled by C.B. Lakenan for his estate in Calif. So. of S.F.”

This large copper pot sat for years in front of the East Ely Depot.

Sunny Martin relates that at one time a truck knocked the pot off its rock pedestal. Sonny Faye, a gentleman of small stature, crawled inside the vessel to pound out the dents from the inside, prior to its replacement. The small tree planted in the pot never seemed to grow.

The name on the depot behind the tree is “ELY.” Donna Frederick, White Pine County historian, notes that the postal service designated Ely City as East Ely when the post office was established 15 September 1908. The photograph indicates that the depot was also simply called “Ely” at one point in time.

     

06 Sep 1998

Car repair shop (RIP track). Corrugated metal construction erected in the 1940s.
Copyright © 2000 Jim Bryant; used with permission

06 Sep 1998

Engine House. The two stalls on the left are machine shop tracks 1 & 2. Then (left to right) are engine house tracks 3 through 8. It was rebuilt in 1941.
Copyright © 2000 Jim Bryant; used with permission

06 Sep 1998

Paint Shop. Also referred to as the Coach Shed. One-story wood frame construction; 40' x 150'; built 1911.
Copyright © 2000 Jim Bryant; used with permission

06 Sep 1998

Freight House. It received a new roof in 1999 that will aid in preserving this historic structure now owned by the State of Nevada's East Ely Railroad Depot Museum. Wood frame construction, built 1907.
Copyright © 2000 Jim Bryant; used with permission

Labor Day Weekend, 1999

Team track view of freight house looking in a westerly direction.
Copyright © 2001 Paul Hodson; used with permission

     

Left: The scale house on 07 Aug 2000. The bottom view is looking west down the scale track with the engine house in the background.
Copyright © 2000 Al Clemens

Right: Scale car No. 5000 lies down the track in this view looking east on 20 June 1999. The track scales and 8' x 10' scale house were built in 1909.
Copyright © 2000 Keith Albrandt
     

Above left: Electric Shop. Wood frame, built c1915.

Above center: Hardwood lumber house (right) and Blacksmith shop (left). Both built c1915.

Above right: Chief Engineer's office, erected in 1908.

Left: Typical trackside structures. Two motor car sheds in the upper photo.

All photographs 05/06 Sep 1998.
Copyright © 2000 Jim Bryant; used with permission

06 Sep 1998

Storehouse (Warehouse); 30' x 100', concrete block, built in 1908. The master mechanic's office was located on the end of the structure shown here, probably just through that door.
Copyright © 2000 Jim Bryant; used with permission

05 Sep 1998

East Ely Depot. Designed by architect Frederick Hale. First floor stone, second story wood frame. Built in 1907 with sandstone quarried near Currie. It appears that the same stone may have been used for the Storehouse (above) and Air house (below).
Copyright © 2000 Jim Bryant; used with permission

06 Sep 1998

06 Sep 1998

Air Brake House. Used for servicing air brake components. Built 1914; concrete block construction; 16' x 32'.
Copyright © 2000 Jim Bryant; used with permission

06 Sep 1998

Bus Garage. Built in the 1940's for the NN buses that replaced the railroad passenger service.
Copyright © 2000 Jim Bryant; used with permission

05 Sep 1998

Transportation Building (Dispatcher's Office). Two-story brick structure erected in 1913. Today in houses the NNRy Museum offices and gift shop.
Copyright © 2000 Jim Bryant; used with permission

     

Ely

20 June 1999
Ely Passenger & Freight Depot, 1000 Campton St., Ely, NV. Wood frame construction; 32' x 74'; built in 1906 at a cost of $3,455. It currently serves as the Requa Senior Citizens Center.
Copyright © 2001 Keith Albrandt

 

 

 

Return to Top Photo Gallery

 

Last modified 19 March, 2003 by Keith Albrandt