Nevada Northern & Railroads of White Pine County

Photo Gallery - Rolling Stock

 

 

 

Nevada Northern

 

June 1984

NN boxcar #201 of group 201-235. Photographed in the Denver & Rio Grande Western railyard, Garfield, UT, near the Kennecott (Bingham) mine.
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

June 1984

NN boxcar #233 at Garfield, UT.
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

June 1975

No. 23 is a steel frame flat car built by the NN shops at East Ely between Jan 1974 & June 1975. It was subsequently donated to the NNRy Museum and converted into an open-bench car for tourist passenger service in 1987. It is still in operation and the most popular car for excursions.
Copyright © 2001 Keith Ardinger; used with permission.

Oct 1993

As the paint fades, the old reporting marks begin to show through. This rail veteran wears CP 213 under its NN colors! No doubt a Central Pacific car.
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

Date?

Flat car; details unknown.
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

1982
50' 14-panel mill gondola No. 502 at the McGill yard. From the 501-540 series: Class GB; CAPY 195000; LD LMT 195400; LT WT 67600; New 9-81; CU FT 2494.
John Ryczkowski photo; David Sellers collection; used with permission.

1986

Nevada Northern gondola No. 3996 in Union Pacific yards, Portland, OR. These gondolas were numbered in the 3900-4049 series (150 cars).
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

June 1988

Wrecking Outfit Car No. A.1. (wrecking crane A's tender) on siding next to East Ely enginehouse.
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

May 1987

Scale Car No. 5000 directly in front of scale house, East Ely yards. Labeled as "N.N. TEST CAR 5000" in earlier photos with a East Ely shop date of 5-7-36 (not shown).
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

July 1972

Scale Car No. 5000 in the East Ely yards. It was built in 1913 at the Nevada Northern shops out of a steam locomotive pilot truck.
Copyright © 2001 Keith Ardinger; used with permission.
06 Aug 2000

Scale Car No. 5000. The old spoked wheels are 44" diameter. The ballast weight is lead.
Copyright © 2000 Al Clemens; used with permission.

mid-1960's

Flat car No. 17. All wood; purchased second hand from the Colorado Midland. Scale car No. 5000, with stenciled 35,000 lbs weight is to the right in this photo taken at the East Ely yards.
Photographer unknown.

1982

Nevada Northern Truck Trailer in Santa Fe "pig train" at Rio Puerco, New Mexico.
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

05 Sep 1998

NN box car No. 1024 at East Ely.. The 1020-1025 series was purchased new in Oct 1912 from American Car and Foundry. 80,000 lbs capacity, 37' over end sills, 9' over side sills, steel fish belly underframe, wood superstructure, arch bar trucks.
Copyright © 2000 Jim Bryant; used with permission.

June 1975
NN box car No. 1021 at East Ely. Details as above.
Copyright © 2001 Keith Ardinger; used with permission.
July 1972
NN box car No. 1020 at East Ely. Details as above.
Copyright © 2001 Keith Ardinger; used with permission.
07 Aug 2000

Another of the 1020-1025 series box cars. Number unknown. Displayed on the grounds of the White Pine Public Museum, 2000 Aultman Street, Ely.
Copyright © 2000 Al Clemens; used with permission.

05 Sep 1998

NN steel water tank car W-5 was purchased new from the German American Car Co. in Jan 1914. One of six in the W-3 to W-8 series, it has a 10,090 gallon capacity and weighs 40,780 lbs. Photo at East Ely.
Copyright © 2000 Jim Bryant; used with permission.

     
07 Aug 2000

Ore car No. 306 photographed at the East Ely yard, It is the last in the 300-306 series purchased new from A.C.& F. in 1907 for $1184.00 each. Natioinal Dump type; composite body; metal underframe; 100,000 lb capacity.

No. 305 was converted to block & tool car 3rd A1 in 1938. The other five cars in this series were scrapped in 1962.
Copyright 2000 Al Clemens; used with permission.

     
07 Aug 2000

Above: Air dump car south of the engine house. It has markings for the Nevada Northern but the number on the side is difficult to discern from the photo, possibly No. 692. Stenciled on the underframe is "9-77 NN", perhaps the last service date for the airbrakes.

Below: Another air dump car. Markings not discernable.
Copyright © 2000 Al Clemens; used with permission.

     

07 Aug 2000

NN all steel double hopper No. 400. The first car in the 400-499 series built in June 1908 by the Pressed Steel Car Co. of Pittsburgh and purchased new for $1166.00 each. Per 1917 ICC Division of Valuation form 310: weight = 38,000 lbs; capacity = 100,000 lb; 28' 3" over end sills; 9' 5" over side sills; 4 doors 31" x 42".
Copyright © 2000 Al Clemens; used with permission.

mid-1960's

Double hopper No. 400 at the East Ely yards. The stenciled data reads:
     CAPY.     100,000
     LD. LMT. 132,000
     LT. WT.      36,400
2nd No. 402 and 2nd No. 403 (renumbered from No. 451) are also at East Ely.
Photographer unknown.

     

07 Aug 2000

This unnumbered car appears to be from the 400-series as described above. It has been modified with a wooden extension, presumably for use transporting less dense material.
The NN sold some of these 400-series hoppers to the smelter in 1915-1916, some to United Commercial Co., San Francisco in 1921-1922, and others to NCCCo. between 1919 and 1922.
Copyright © 2000 Al Clemens; used with permission.

     
1975
Storage car No. 1030. Ex-USA 8733 hospital kitchen car, from a group of forty ordered in Aug 1943 and delivered by ACF Mar-Sep 1944 (8731-8770). Similar in design to the more numerous troop kitchen car. All-steel, 54' 2" over bumpers, no vestibules, 4-wheel high-speed friction bearing trucks, 77,500 lbs., equipped for operation in regular passenger train service. Declared surplus Mar-June 1946.
Copyright © 2001 Keith Ardinger; used with permission.
   
1980
Combination car 05 at the White Pine Public Museum prior to its return to the Nevada Northern Railway Museum complex. Built by Pullman c1886 and purchased 2nd hand from the Atlantic Equipment Co., Harvey, IL in January 1909. Currently under restoration.
Peter Vercruijsse photo; used with permission.
     
   
20 June 1999
Jordan spreader purchased new by the Nevada Northern in 1910. Sold to Nevada Consolidated Copper in March 1918.
Copyright © 2000 Keith Albrandt
07 Aug 2000

The builders plate reads:

No. 360
O.F. Jordan Co.
Spreader
Flanger
Scraper
Bank Builder
and
Snow Plow
Chicago

Copyright © 2000 Al Clemens; used with permission.
     
20 June 2000

Jordan spreader No. 70. Built 1948; builders number 7087. Purchased used from KCC as Chino Mines No. 2 in 1964 for $1.00.
Copyright © 2000 Keith Albrandt

mid-1960's

Jordan spreader No. 70 appears to be in fresh paint here at the East Ely yards. Stenciling on the side indicates is was "oiled" SR 1-27-64 KCM (Santa Rita Kennecott Chino Mines). It was principally used for snow removal on the Hiline.
Photographer unknown.

July 1972

Jordan spreader No. 70 in the East Ely yards.
Copyright © 2001 Keith Ardinger; used with permission.

     
1949
Bank Shaper (no number) at East Ely yards. Built by the NN East Ely shops in 1933 using the tender frame from engine No. 3. Scrapped at McGill in 1952. A caboose is behind the shaper in this photograph.
Jack Wagner photograph, Steve Swanson collection; used with permission.
     

 

 

Return to Top Photo Gallery

 

Last modified 02 May, 2003 by Keith Albrandt