Nevada Northern & Railroads of White Pine County

 

Photo Gallery Locos
     

Nevada Northern Railway

01 Nov 1993
No. 40 with passenger train, No. 93 on ore train, and RS-3 No. 109 running light at East Ely yards for a "Photographers special".
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

 

   
Cooke Rotary Snow Plow "B"
Photographed at Ely, Nevada. Tender is from NN 4-6-0 No. 21 and still bears that number on its backend.

June 1984

Copyright © 2000 David Sellers;
used with permission.
 

30 May 1982
Jim Cooper photograph
Courtesy Jim Bryant collection;
used with permission

30 May 1982
Jim Cooper photograph
Courtesy Jim Bryant collection;
used with permission

 

 


Copyright © 2000 Keith Albrandt
20 June 1999

The Ghost Train of East Ely

Baldwin 4-6-0 No. 40 built in July 1910. Seen undergoing a major overhaul on track #2 in the engine house in the upper photograph.

In the lower photograph, Al Clemens has captured her on engine house track #3 shortly after her return to service in July, 2000 for her 90th "birthday".


Copyright © 2000 Al Clemens
06 Aug 2000
     

Copyright © 2000 Keith Albrandt
20 June 1999

Consolidated Workhorse

Alco 2-8-0 No. 93 built Jan 1909. Originally used in ore haulage, first by the Nevada Northern and subsequently (after her sale in 1920) by NCCCo.

 

At the East Ely yards in the upper photograph, she is preparing to take NN Railway Museum visitors on an excursion up the Keystone route.

The middle photograph captures her profile on the Keystone wye.

In the lower photograph, No. 93 was captured on the grounds of the White Pine Public Museum before her restoration to operating condition by volunteers of the Nevada Northern Railway Museum.


Copyright © 2000 Keith Albrandt
03 June 1995

Peter Vercruijsse photograph;
used with permission
1980
     

Peter Vercruijsse photograph;
used with permission
1980

Baldwin 2-8-0 No. 81

Began active duty on 19 May 1917 and used over the years in mixed service. Donated to White Pine Public Museum in 1960 and photographed here on their grounds twenty-years later. Subsequently acquired by the Nevada Northern Railway Museum and currently stored out of service.

 

 

SD-7 No. 401

   
     

The Nevada Northern completely "dieselized" its entire fleet in Aug 1952 with the purchase of a single EMD SD-7, No. 401. It remains the only SD-7 model unit ever purchased new by a shortline. Builders number 16824, a type C-C road-switcher, weighed 296,000 lbs and was equipped with a 1200 gallon fuel tank. It was particularly well suited for the NN's 60- and 115-pound rail.

The NN ceased operations in 1983 and No. 401 was subsequently sold to the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.

David Sellers captured these photographs of No. 401 at the LADWP power plant in Delta, Utah in June, 1990.
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

     
NN No. 401 awaits the call back to duty after closure of the railway in 1983. The call would eventually come from Delta, UT. Photographed in the East Ely shops, February, 1984.
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.
     

 

 

Return to Top Photo Gallery

 

Last modified 17 Sep, 2002 by Keith Albrandt