Home Page

Nevada Northern & Railroads of White Pine County

 

Photo Gallery Locos

 

 

 

 

KCC Nevada Mines Division

KCC electric's No. 81 (left) and No. 80 (right)

Jun 1988

KCC electric switch engines No.s 80 & 81 at McGill, Nevada.
Copyright © 2000 David Sellers; used with permission.

     
     

KCC RS-2 No. 102
Photo by Ken M. Ardinger

25 July 1969
East Ely, NV

KCC Nevada Mines Division
Alco RS-2 No. 102

Built Apr 1949. Used at Copper Flat almost exclusively as a pit engine until the cessation of pit rail haulage in 1958. Thereafter employed in ore haulage to McGill on the "Hickey Pacific". To KCC Utah No. 742 (2nd) in 1977.

Scrapped. All that remains is the builders plate.

 

KCC RS-2 No. 102 builders plate is preserved at the East Ely Railroad Depot Museum
From the collection of David Rogan

KCC RS-2 No. 102
Photo by Ken M. Ardinger

25 July 1969
East Ely, NV

KCC Utah No. 742
Photo by Ken M. Ardinger

02 Sep 1983
Salt Lake City, UT

   
     
KCC RS-3 No. 109
Copyright © 2000 Keith Albrandt
20 Jun 1999

Alco RS-3 No. 109 inside engine house on track #2.

Transferred to the Nevada Mines Division from Ray in 1970 after Ray received new GP-39's. Shown here newly painted and now lettered for the Nevada Northern (Museum).

     
KCC RSD-4 No. 201
Copyright © 2000 Al Clemens

May 2000
North Bend (Snoqualmie), WA

Alco RSD-4 No. 201 at the Northwest Railway Museum. Used on the Cobre local (when the 401 was not available) and in mainline ore haulage as it's long wheel base trucks couldn't negotiate the sharp curves in the pit. By 1960 it was decided that it didn't MU as well with the RS-2's so it was used at Copper Flat more often than not.

     
     
KCC RS-2 No. 105, left side
Copyright © 2000 Keith Albrandt
19 June 1999

KCC Nevada Mines Division
Alco RS-2 No. 105

Built Dec1949. Used in mainline ore haulage from Copper Flat to the mill and smelter at McGill, aka the "Hickey Pacific".

The large single digit on the hood is the last digit of the road number so the dispatcher could visually keep track of the train movements,

No. 105 is fully operational and is used on the NN Railway Museum's tourist excursions on the Hiline Route. That trip is highly recommended; it is remarkably desolate and isolated for being only a few miles out of Ely. The silence is deafening.

These four photographs capture No. 105 at the East Ely yards.

KCC RS-2 No. 105, short hood
Copyright © 2000 Jim Bryant
05 Sep 1998
KCC RS-2 No. 105, right side
Copyright © 2000 Keith Albrandt
19 June 1999
KCC RS-2 No. 105, right side
Copyright © 2000 Keith Albrandt
19 June 1999
     

 

KCC RS-2 No. 106 and RSD-4 No. 201 at East Ely
Steve Swanson collection
September 1963

KCC Nevada Mines Division
Alcos RS-2 No. 106 & RSD-4 No. 201

In the photo to the left, the 201 is in its original paint while the 106 has been repainted. It's interesting that the large numeral "6" was retained; the 101, 102, 106, and 107 had the large numbers for use in the Liberty pit, but it had been five years since the rail was removed from the pit when this photo was taken.

The 106 was the only engine to retain the large number. The 107 had its large number removed in 1954 or 1955 when it was transferred from pit service to duty on the Hickey Pacific. The 101 and 102 had lost their big numbers by 1957.

Photographic evidence suggests that the large numbers on the long hoods fell out of favor when no longer required for the pit haulage, and then reappeared sometime between 1973 and 1977.

     

 

 

Return to Top Photo Gallery

 

Home Page

Last modified 30 May, 2002 by Keith Albrandt