Nevada Northern & Railroads of White Pine County

 

Ore Hoppers at the East Ely Yards

 

~Based on the original research of
Steve Swanson, Al Clemens, and Richard Wilkens~

 

Contributed by Al Clemens

 

Chapter 3
Ingoldsby 800 and 900 Series Ore Cars

 

 

800 Series Ingoldsby 12-Latch Steel Ore Cars
The 800 Series of cars were originally Colorado & Southern standard gauge, steel Ingoldsby ore cars and were numbered 20000-20349 (350 cars). They were built by the American Car & Foundry Co. (A.C.F.) and were part of the same lot #4817. These cars were originally used to move iron ore from the Colorado Fuel & Iron Co. (C.F.& I.) mine at Sunrise, Wyoming to its steel mill in Minnequa, Colorado, just outside of Pueblo.
It is interesting to note here that the Nevada Northern Ry Co.'s first load of rail came from this same C.F.& I. steel plant in 1906. However, at that time they were using wooden C&S and Colorado & Wyoming Ingoldsby cars to ship iron ore from Sunrise, Wyoming to the C.F.& I. plant in Minnequa, Colorado. The 1930 Official Railway Equipment Register (ORER) indicates that C&S still had 284 cars of their 20000 series steel ore cars in service.
These cars were nearly identical to the 500, 600, & 700 series as built by The Pullman Co. and their characteristics can be realized in the American Car & Foundry's builder photo of C&S car #20150.
It is believed that by 1930, these cars had been outfitted with different trucks and the door releasing handles location modified to ease door release. A car with this modification can be seen in the video Ore to Copper and is believed to be one of these acquired C&S Ingoldsby ore cars.
The 08 November 1965 photo of car #31 at the McGill, Nevada smelter is of an ex-C&S car that was renumbered in 1930-31 to the NN 800 series. As mentioned above, the ex-C&S cars can be identified by the relocation of the door release handles. It can be seen that they were relocated between the angled end-braces instead of the outside. With the release handles relocated as such, the handle would rest near the platform floor of the operator's end of the car. When the doors were released, the handle would be in a near vertical position. The doors on this car being open, affords the viewer a scant view of the end of its door release handle. Also, with the door release handles relocated as they were on these cars, it would be possible to get better leverage to open the doors and would not favor either right or left handed operators. The operation of this type car can be seen in the video, Ore To Copper.
Another feature usually seen on these ex-C&S cars are the Bettendorf type T-Section trucks. These were manufactured circa 1922 and were presumably installed by the C&S shops prior to the Nevada Northern Ry's purchases in 1930-31. The year that this car was relegated to smelter duty at McGill and renumbered as #31 is not known. At the time of this writing, records that would shed light on these particular smelter car re-numberings are not known to exist.

The photo of ex-C&S car #20233 attests to its C&S ancestry by revealing the "Burlington Route" logo through the faded paint. The stenciling "Nevada Mines" can also be seen in this photo.

 


Courtesy of A.C.F. Industries,
St. Charles, MO
Frank M. Ellington Collection

American Car & Foundry builders photo of Colorado & Southern Ingoldsby ore car No. 20150.

Subsequently sold to NCCCo. & Renumbered to their 800 series. Visually nearly identical to the NCCCo. 500, 600, and 700 series.


Copyright © 2001 Steve Swanson
Used with permission

KCC No. 31 unsealed Ingoldsby car
McGill, NV, 08 November 1965

This is a ex-C&S Ingoldsby car and it presumably is a car from the 800 Series that was later relegated to smelter duty and renumbered to #31. The bottom half of the box appears to have had it's sheet metal replaced and spliced with the top half by a 4-5 inch flat steel strips and riveted. There is also a smaller additional patch next to the last latch. This car has had rectangular shaped holes cut into the corners but there is no sign of added pad eyes. This car has not been fitted with a height extender and therefore probably retains its original height.

The door release levers have been moved to the inside of the angled, channel iron braces, a modification accomplished before being purchased by NN in 1930-31. This modification apparently was performed by the C&S shops as no other Ingoldsby car photos show this characteristic except C&S cars. The handle, when in the "closed" position, would rest on, or near the car's platform. Being as the doors are open on car #31 the tip of the handle on this car can just barely be seen as a vertical dark area at the edge of the car's box. On the Ingoldsby car to the right of car #31, one of the door release handles can been seen angled up slightly, indicating that the doors on this car are up and the latches engaged.

A 1939 photograph of C&S car #20254 taken in Pueblo, CO (a scan of this photo is not available for viewing at this time) looks just like #31 except for the riveted strip along it's side and the rectangular holes at each end. The car is riding on Bettendorf T-Section trucks at both ends. These are the type trucks that the C&S had on their cars in 1939 photo, although they were delivered to the C&S with Arch Bar trucks. The actual date of the truck change for the C&S Ingoldsby cars is not known. However, the "new" Bettendorf T-section trucks are mentioned in the 1922 Car Builder's Cyclopedia. This provides a date span of about 8 years that the T-Section trucks could have been installed before being purchased by NCCCo. in 1930-31. The Bettendorf T-Section truck saved approximately 1000 lb. over the original Arch Bar truck.

 


Magnified view of left truck from above photo.

Copyright © 2001 Steve Swanson
Used with permission

800 series Ingoldsby car showing C&S Lettering
Keystone Dump, Ruth, NV, June 1966

This is a ex-C&S Ingoldsby car and the "Burlington Route" logo can be seen behind the faded C&S number 20233. This car has had a rectangular shaped hole cut into the corner of the box but there is no sign of an original or added pad eye. This car appears to have been fitted with a slightly different 6-inch height extender. (A small vertical brace is in a location different than the other 6-inch extenders on the other "sealed" cars.)

 

Series
Date
Car Description or Event
800-829
Built 1907
Ingoldsby Bottom Dump - All Steel - A.C.F.
 
1930
30 cars purchased used from Colorado & Southern (sg).
 
1954
Cars #813 & #816 to Nevada Northern Railway.
 
1960's - 1970's

The remainder of cars were being scrapped.

 
1962?
Car #828 scrapped.
 
1966
Twenty-seven of the 800-829 Ingoldsby cars still functional with drop bottoms.
 
1977
By the fall of 1977 all of the remaining cars were presumably scrapped.

 
830-879
Built 1907
Ingoldsby Bottom Dump - All Steel - A.C.F.
 
1931
50 cars purchased used from Colorado & Southern (SG).
 
1954
Car #877 to Nevada Northern Railway.
 
1960's - 1970's
The remainder of cars were being scrapped.

1960
Car #863 scrapped.

1962?
Car #870 scrapped.
 
1966
Forty-seven of the 830-879 Ingoldsby cars still functional with drop bottoms.
 
1977
By the fall of 1977 all of the remaining cars were presumably scrapped.

 

 

900 Series Ingoldsby 12-Latch Steel Ore Cars
The 900 Series of ore cars appear to be the ones depicted in Train Shed Cyclopedia No. 5, "Gondolas and Hoppers" from the 1940 Car Builder's Cyclopedia, page 284. Also, in Train Shed Cyclopedia No. 46, page 253 there is an illustration to accompany this drawing. It is an Enterprise Railway Equipment Co. advertisement with a picture of NCCCo.'s car #900. The Magor (pronounced May'-gor) Car Corporation, New York, New York built this car in 1926 and the ad describes the car and it's door-opening operation (see notes). This illustration of NCCCo. #900 can also be found in both the 1931 Car Builder's Cyclopedia on page 1201 and the 1940 Car Builder's Cyclopedia on page 1224. Both Cyclopedias have the same photo with the same caption: "Ingoldsby Type Ore Car - Capacity 160,000 lbs. - 1334 cu. ft., Light Weight 49,000 lbs. - Magor Car Corporation". (It should be noted that the figure of 49000 is likely an error as the stenciling in the photo is 49800.)
Although they were outside dump with two longitudinal bottom drop doors like the cars in the 500-800 Series, the 900 Series were of a completely different design. In addition to a different design, they were the tallest of any dump cars on the Kennecott properties. They were 10 feet 8 inches (top of car to top of rail). The car's length was 34 feet 3 inches and it's outside width was 10 feet 2 inches (9' 2" inside). This design closely resembled the 1200 Series which are described in Chapter 4 of this writing.
"The Ingoldsby-Enterprise Side Discharge Ore Car illustrated and a general plan (TS Cyclopedia No. 5) is of the 80 ton capacity. The floors are very steep and the doors, which discharge the load to both sides of the track, are of a large area whereby exceptional door openings are provided for the exit of the load. The car doors are operable from the end platform of the car. Two operations are necessary; first, the raising of the car doors and second, the throwing in of the auxiliary latches. To open the car doors and release the load, the operator simultaneously releases the latches and door-lifting device by one movement of a lever. This Ingoldsby-Enterprise car is a modern development of the Ingoldsby car which for many years has been used in the copper industry."
Notes:
(1) It should be noted that the Magor Car Corporation, is listed in the Cyclopedias as being in New York. However, we find in Edward S. Kaminski's book The Magor Car Corporation, that it was actually located in northern New Jersey at Clifton. Beginning as a partnership of Robert Wonham and Basil Magor in 1917, it was incorporated as the Magor Car Corporation. Interestingly, one of its major stockholders was J.P. Morgan.

(2) Steve Swanson recalls, "We didn't like 900's because of the high center of gravity. They rocked rather badly on poor track and if on the point, tended to derail coming out of the pit. You could always spot a 900 rocking back and forth in the train."
Series
Date
Car Description or Event
900-934
Built 1926
Ingoldsby Bottom Dump - All Steel - Magor Car Corp.
 
1926
Purchased new.
 
After 1932
Bottoms sealed after installation of rotary dump facility.
 
1960's - 1970's

Remainder of cars scrapped.

 
1977
By the fall of 1977 all of the remaining cars were presumably scrapped.



950-999
Built 1929
Ingoldsby Bottom Dump - All Steel - Magor Car Corp.
 
1929
Purchased new.
 
1931
Car #970 made into a scale test car for McGill.
 
After 1932
Bottoms sealed after installation of rotary dump facility.
 
1937
Car #970 returned to ore service.
 
1960's - 1970's
Remainder of cars scrapped.
 
1977
By the fall of 1977 all of the remaining cars were presumably scrapped.

 

 

The Nevada Ingoldsby Series of Ore Cars

Chapter 1

Ore Hoppers at the East Ely Yards — Introduction

Chapter 2

Ingoldsby 500, 600, and 700 Series Ore Cars
Chapter 3 Ingoldsby 800 and 900 Series Ore Cars
Chapter 4 Ingoldsby 1000 and 1200 Series Ore Cars
Chapter 5 Photo gallery — 1000 Series Cars at the Nevada Northern Railway Museum
Chapter 6 Photo gallery — 1200 Series Cars at the Nevada Northern Railway Museum
Appendix Ingoldsby Automatic Car Company Patents

 

 

 

 

 

 

Last modified 18 August, 2001 by Keith Albrandt